How Long Until Racing The Planet: Nepal

Countdown to Racing The Planet: Nepal

Thursday, May 21, 2009

stage 4... no updates yet

I am still waiting for updated results from stage 4 to see how andrew did, but the organisers have decided to keep it a secret... not funny when you anxiously waiting.

The organisers have updated news highlights a couple of times - I will extract some highlights on what happened out there yesterday /today:

1) At about 4am this morning (Namibia time)- ONLY "32 competitors have crossed the finish line after 100km of pushing on through the night." The rest is still on the course.

2) At about 8am " 63 competitors have arrived at camp 5" The rest is still on course. 24 hours later from start time yesterday.

3) Dr. Allen Chen said, “we are seeing a lot more chronic stuff now. Blisters are getting worse, shoes are absolutely filled with sand and there have been cases of tendonitis and obviously, dehydration is a major issue.” Competitors are receiving the best care possible, and looking better for it.

4)And finally we hear something about Rob! And I qoute...
" Rob Graham (South Africa) commented, “it was a long haul, and definitely the most difficult day of my athletic life,” but then conceded that the landscape was, “stunning.”

5) At about 10am this morning: "There is a confirmed drop-out rate of 25%, and more than 100 people stayed overnight at check-point 18. All the competitors who opted to spend the night at check-point 18 had to leave at 0600 in order to continue."

6) I read on one person's blog that they were apparently going to get onto a bus at 3am the morning of the 100km stage to travel to the starting line.

I must say if I was there I would have not been impressed by the 3am wake up call , a 4 hour bus ride and then a 100km stage. Oh and for good measure add 43 degrees heat. The 25% drop out rate is understandable.

I do not think I can check the website one more time ! Chris (the physio), Eric Tollner and I have been checking that website continuously for any signs of life but I think we are now starting to hallucinate as the long wait is now taking its toll on us.

Hope to get some more news later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment