How Long Until Racing The Planet: Nepal

Countdown to Racing The Planet: Nepal

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

April Wrap Up

Ok, ok, I know, its been LONG overdue,but here goes.....

So IronMan has come and gone and I've had my rest (recovery) and am chomping at the bit now to start the trail season.

IronMan was an interesting experience this year, and although it rates as one of the worst times I've done on the Port Elizabeth course, it probably was one of the best that I've experienced.
The beginning of the swim was pretty horrible to be honest - my swim is not what it used to be, so I started slightly further back.
Unfortunately, this meant that I was deep in the crowd and I had to sit up gasping for breath half way to the first buoy, my asthma kicking in big time and just the general panic that I haven't felt in YEARS since I started triathlon.

I kept on keeping on, but could not find an open patch of ocean to swim in until I started back towards the pier.

The second loop of the swim was awesome, I swam on my own, and felt like I could do another loop, I had finally relaxed and found that inner patience that I am only now starting to realise that you need for the longer events.

I started the bike probably more excited for the bike than any other IronMan that I've done, I think purely for selfish reasons, but I was so proud of my bike with Rob's tri-spokes, although using them came at a horrible price with Rob having to pull out due to a calf tear. It was a pretty sh*tty feeling, but I guess it is what it is....and I was so grateful for the support along the way.

Even though I was excited for the bike, I knew that my bike training was minimal at best, so pushing on the first loop would have disasterous consequences. I knew I had it in me to finish the bike, but not to finish fast, so I made the decision to spin the first 14km to get up the "climb" on the PE course and the ride where there were "free" miles. I had a bit of a scare on the first descend as I felt my tubby start to slip out of the X-Lab cage at the back, another minute and the tubby would have caught in the wheel...so I stopped and adjusted and then set off.

The first loop went by rather slowly in fact, but just kept.

I must admit that I was starting to hurt at the end of the second loop, and stopped to talk to Rob and Chris and eat lunch - and by eat I mean force food down my gullet and started on the third loop, which seemed to go by quite quickly.

I was far, so very far from comfortable, but I guess you just learn to deal and kept pedalling.

Got off the bike, and I must admit I started wondering how much running I could honestly do, I had started cramping a bit on the bike and the cramps I knew are ALWAYS my downfall on the run portion of IronMan.

I guzzled through a recovery drink and started out on the run course.

Now I have to take a moment here and say that I need to be honest. I did not run fast, I did not run as I know I can do, but somewhere I found a pair of running legs, and I ran - and this will probably sound a bit negative - but the reality was that I wondered when the wheels would fall off - but none the less I ran and kept on.

My objective was to run water station to station which I knew where 2km apart and it worked. I grabbed food and kept stuffing food in for most of the course - I tucked some pringles in the run special needs bag - and I think it made a difference.

It was GREAT seeing Ian in the university section, he gave me an awesome coaching pep talk as only Ian can.

Ian and Chris in front of the hotel was also a great land mark to get to!!

I also made an effort to smile and acknowledge as many of the people on the course that I could recognise, just as a mental thing, so I could work out position, etc and everyone was very encouraging. An odd thing is that I caught up and ran with a girl I hadnt seen or spoken to since my matric farewell (how odd is that???)

With 6km to go I worked out that I could make it under 12 hours if I pushed, and I made the decision to run a bit faster, I just felt that my legs had it in them. Unfortunately, two km in my tummy decided to give me the finger, as I think the extra effort made everything juggling around in there a little too uncomfortable and I started getting sick.
I dont really regret the decision, it was a good risk I think, because I knew if things went bad I would still finish, but I was a little disappointed that the last 4km took so long, but I finished none the less.

I wasnt all that stiff the next day, the strange thing is that my sunburn ended up being the most painful momento I took away with me, and I am going to have that burn for a long, long time.

Hahaha

Thanks to everyone, Velocity Sports Lab, to coach Ian for getting me there across the finish line.

And to Piggins and Wolverine for everthing in between.

:)

1 comment:

  1. You are a seasoned athlete, Andrew, with lots of experience & wisdom to tap into!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete