How Long Until Racing The Planet: Nepal

Countdown to Racing The Planet: Nepal

Thursday, April 9, 2009

The week before Two Oceans

So the buzz surrounding IronMan is starting to fade into a hot,windless memory and life continues. We're now just within the five week limit before Namibia and the radar has two definite big blips. The third and final block weekend next week and Two Oceans Ultra Marathon on Saturday.
Its a little funny to think that the bulk of the runners for Saturday have spent this week with their feet up, enjoying the taper and the always welcome indulgence of carbo loading, but man, my legs are tired.
A quick little 60km in three days taper and now we go into this ultra marathon as a training run. My thoughts are just to approach it as a training run and enjoy the vibe and whatever happens, happens. I know that sounds very lazy, but at this point it may be a strategic decision more than anything. A hard run means more recovery time needed - and have a run on Sunday as a "warm down" before a couple of days rest before the block weekend. Already the tell tale signs of over use are showing, my achilles is starting to become uncomfortable and Chris reckons I have the beginnings of a possible knee ailment purely just from the distances. If I stop to think about the physio, the kinesiologist, the acupuncturist, the coach - I have accumulated quite an entourage.

Irony for the day, Chris wants me to spend extra time in the gym with rehab exercises. Ya, cos I don't go there enough! Ha Ha, that joke that the spin instructor keeps making about moving a treadmill into the sauna may not be that far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment