How Long Until Racing The Planet: Nepal

Countdown to Racing The Planet: Nepal

Sunday, February 27, 2011

West Coast Wind

Sat morning 5am and the alarm goes off. Faaaaaaaaaaaak here we go. I can hear the wind gusting outside. I think to myself if we get more than 100km in on the bike today we will be lucky. I wanted to sleep on but knew I would miss out anf kick myself later if I wasn't there.

5:45 we are at Velocity Sports Lab ready to to start riding. A few guys and chicks pulled in and the by the look one everyones face I could see that no was that keen to brave the wind let alone face it on the windiest stretch of road in the Cape ..... The West Coast Road!!!

The stretch of road down to Camps Bay we were met with terrible cross winds I actually contemplated changing the route but once we had made it down to the Vida we had settled down and started to find our rhythm.

There were about 20 of us which was really cool it always makes it that much more pleasant when you are in a group. A group comprising ... multiple Ironmen, people who have raced in Kona, people training to tackle the Pyrenees mountains and guys putting in the distance for their first Ironman. A great group.

The ride out was comfortable with a nice tail wind and my bike after its set up felt so aero. It really has made such a difference. We went through Koeberg reserve and then a further 5km down the W coast road. We turned ........ HELL ........ hahahaha okay not so bad. We worked in a team riding back towards Cape Town.

In strong winds I always try to ride lighter gears and keep my cadence higher ... it always makes the work feel less and it saves your legs.

Eventually we arrive back at the Vida in Camps bay for a quick re-fuel before tackling Suikerbossie.

The run on Sunday a bit of a mixture of trail and road. we parked at Constantia Nek and ran the green belt down to the Vida in the village (funny how many times I am riding or running to Vida ... I think I have a problem) to meet Ryan for his Vida run. It was great fun and we got about 2.5 hours on the legs. SATISFIED with that.

Later today will be a quick gym ..... no point in doing Ironman if you don't look good crossing the line!!! hahahahahaha.

Ciao for now.

RobbieG

No comments:

Post a Comment